Sunday 30 June 2013

Gig Review: Kasabian @ Hard Rock Calling

Kasabian plus support- Hard Rock Calling 29/6

Olympic Stadium as a backdrop
It's been a couple of years since I last went to Hard Rock Calling, and there's been a few changes since. The biggest change, a switch on venue. Whereas before it was hosted in Hyde Park, it has been moved to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in East London. Might have had something to do with the Bruce Springsteen fiasco after he was cut off last year, but personally I think that turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The Olympic Park is a fantastic venue for a festival; you cannot fault it. Because it was built purposely for the Olympics, its geared up for big numbers of people. Add to that the character and the atmosphere the place holds it really is a special place. Think having the Olympic Stadium and other venues such as the Velodrome as a background help with that. And the artificial grass which eradicates the problem of mud. As is the way with festivals there's always people about providing a source of entertainment. This event was no different, including an old guy in fake tan and nothing but gold Y-fronts and a guy in drag with huge fake boobs and blonde wig. 


Main Stage
Anyway enough of the venue and people I saw, it was the music I was there to see. Luckily I managd to cram in quite a few artists, old and new, and each one of them provided really good entertainment ending with a great headline set by Kasabian. Before them though were a good number of bands who are well worth checking out if you haven't heard of them before.

The Weeks

Dark Horses
The Weeks kicked things off on the Main Stage about half one in the afternoon, and considering they are relatively unknown here in the UK (they are touring with Kings of Leon currently), it didn't take long for them to win the crowd over. I was already aware of them, albeit only a couple of songs, but they impressed me. They're a tight band with a good sound and very impressive performers live. They got a very positive reception from the crowd gathered at the front of the stage and were clearly enjoying themselves. Highlight for me was them playing 'Brother in the Night' which is a song I absolutely love. They finished their set with an impressive 
improvisation after their last song which really got the crowd going. All in all a fantastic way to start the day.


Lower Than Atlantis were next on the Main Stage, but I only stuck around for a couple of songs because my need for a burger outweighed staying. The songs I stayed for were good but nothing special in my opinion. Fans of the band would have enjoyed it, but I could take it or leave it. So I left. Decided to see what was going on in the other tents and wondered into the Pepsi Max Stage halfway through Dark Horses' set. Considering I had no idea who they were, I really liked what I heard. I only caught about 3 or 4 songs but they had a really good energy and good sound. Definitely a band that I will check out further.

Jack Savoretti
One of the highlights of the weekend for me was seeing a guy called Jack Savoretti on the Hard Rock Rising Stage. He played a mixture of acoustic folk/country pop style music, if you can describe it like that. Kind of like Frank Turner. Whatever it you call it I couldn't stand still. I had a feeling he was going to be good as soon as one of his band mates brought a double bass out on stage with him. I wasn't disappointed. It may only have been a short set but he did enough to win me over and definitely has another fan. Got a soft spot for that style of music so not surprising really.

Twin Forks
When he was finished I went back into the Pepsi Max tent and caught the end of Twin Forks' set. Was only about 3 songs but again I was won over. Their song 'Scraping Up the Pieces' really impressed me, but then I do like that folky style music. Another band that gained another fan. I then made my way back towards the Main Stage where I caught the second half of Kodaline's set. They were just finishing 'High Hopes' when I arrived and played a few more songs before finishing with 'All I Want'. They were pretty good, even if they weren't the most exciting band I saw all weekend. Still, I enjoyed 'All I Want', think that's a brilliant song and the band comes alive when they perform it live.
Kodaline

I then made my way back towards the other stages where I was tempted into the Hard Rock Rising tent after hearing 'The Riverdance Song' by Steve Craddock. Not surprising considering he was the guitarist in Ocean Colour Scene, but it was a good surprise and nice hear it live. After that I made my way into the Pepsi Max tent and caught the end of The Twang's set. Didn't know all too much about them but they were really good. The tent was packed and they had whipped the crowd up into a frenzy before I got there. They were very energentic and a very good live act. Only downside, got covered in beer but you're bound to get hit at least once.


The Twang
I stayed in the tent for next act who was one I was looking forward to seeing. Me and quite a few other people considering it was packed out again. The View were up next and they were pretty good. Didn't know too many of the songs, but they were all big sing along songs for those who knew the words. The song we were all there to hear, 'Same Jeans' was brilliantly recieved and was sung loud and proud by everyone in the tent. It did seem to go a little flat after that, but picked up during the last couple of songs. Glad I got round to seeing them.


Miles Kane
After that it was time to make my way back to the Main Stage for a singer who has been on my 'To See' list for while. Miles Kane was next and he didn't disappoint. He was loving it. He was fantastic and he was relishing in the crowd's reaction. He even managed to find time to dedicate a song to England footballer Peter Crouch who he spotted up the VIP section.  He is a great showman and knows exactly what the crowd wants. Playing stuff from both his first and second albums, he had the crowd going from the start before finishing with the brilliant 'Come Closer'. This naturally included mass audience participation with people still singing along long after he had departed the stage. He is touring the UK later in the year, and I wasn't sure whether to get tickets. Definitely made my mind up after that.


Paul Weller
The Modfather, Paul Weller was next to grace the stage and showed what a great performer he is. Playing material from his solo career as well as delving into Style Council and The Jam's back catalogues he had something for everyone. I'm not a huge Paul Weller fan myself but I was really impressed with just how good he is live. Finishing his set with 'That's Entertainment', 'The Changing Man' and 'Town Called Malice' it was the perfect way to set the crowd up for the headline act.



Kasabian
So then it was time for the headline act and the band we were all there to see, Kasabian finally arrived on stage to the tune of the old BBC sports show 'Grandstand'. They then flew into a set that included hits from all their albums. They are a band that have grown on me a lot recently. Having not realised how many of their songs I liked and with a reputation of being excellent live, I thought I'd better see them. That turned out to be a great decision. They are one of the best bands I've ever seen live. The energy and intensity they play with is unreal and they know exactly how to work the crowd. The crowd were loving it, as were Serge and Tom as they both said they were 'buzzing' and that the crowd was 'amazing'.


Flare in the crowd
There was a huge amount of crowd participation with flags and flares from the get go and people singing along with 'Days Are Forgotten' and 'Shoot the Runner' through 'Where Did All the Love Go?' to 'L.S.F.' at the end of their set. After coming back on for an encore, they finished with their epic song 'Fire' with everyone in sight bouncing up and down. The band were milking it but it was a great spectacle and a fantastic way to end the night. They walked off stage with Tom singing a snippet of The Beatles' song 'She Loves You' a capella. With that he walked off stage and that was the end of the night. Even though I was a fair way back they totally owned the stage and had the typical rock star swagger. The Rolling Stones may have been headling Glastonbury the same night, but I'm glad I got round to seeing one of the best British bands of the last decade.  

Kasabian
It was a fantastic day and I cannot praise the organisers and artists I saw enough. Getting in and out the venue was easy and well managed, and in the end seamless. The weather was brilliant as well, which helped and all in all helped cap a great day of music. Just a shame I couldn't afford tickets to see The Boss, Bruce Springsteen, headline the next day. Oh well, will just have to come back next year :) 

















<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/9389181/?claim=xet7q8sgdxz">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>



















No comments:

Post a Comment