Thursday 17 October 2013

Gig Review: The Weeks @ The Haunt, Brighton

The Weeks- The Haunt, Brighton 16/10


The Weeks at Hard Rock Calling
The Weeks are one of my favourite finds of 2013. It’s not often I  decide to see a band on the strength of one song.  After randomly clicking on one of their videos after it was suggested to me on YouTube, I fell in love with their track ‘Brother in the Night’. I was then delighted to see that they were on the bill for Hard Rock Calling in London, which I already had tickets for. They opened the main stage and were fantastic. Even though they were first on they won the crowd over with their energetic performance. This wasn't their only UK appearance during the summer either, as they have been acquiring fans over here supporting Kings of Leon on their recent UK tour. So when I saw that they were playing just down the road from me on their own stand-alone tour I snapped up a ticket straight away.


4 piece band The Dirty Flaws were the support act and I thought they were pretty good. I caught half their set but was impressed with what I heard. They play an interesting brand of indie rock and were the perfect support for The Weeks. I confess that I had never heard of them before but liked them enough to warrant looking them up after the gig.



The Weeks were next on stage and even though small venue wasn’t full the crowd that had gathered were eagerly anticipating the headline act. Don’t be deceived by their long hair and scruffy appearance (remind me of Jay from the film Dogma), they really know how to play good music. Hailing from Mississippi, they play a brand of indie rock with southern rock vibes. It’s a good mix and gives the band an interesting sound. Full of catchy hooks and grooves their songs come alive in a live environment as they play with an energy that is impossible to stand still to.

Playing songs from their latest album ‘Dear Bo Jackson’ including the title track, ‘Brother in the Night’ and ‘King Sized Death Bed’ they also played older songs such as ‘The House That We Grew Up In’ and ‘Mississippi’ Rain’ which spanned their older EPs and previous album.

They didn’t talk much between songs, except to say “We’re The Weeks, we’re from Mississippi and we love you guys,” but they didn’t need to. They let their music do the talking and they were every bit as impressive as when I saw them back in the summer.  They are definitely a band that will hit the big time soon. They are too talented to be missed by the mainstream but they are slowly building up a legion of fans over hear in the UK and they are very much winning people over the more shows they play. A band to watch out for that’s for sure.

Check out a 'The House That We Grew Up In' and 'Brother In The Night' below.



 Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment