Saturday 2 November 2013

Gig Review: Deap Vally @ Concorde 2, Brighton

Deap Vally @ Concorde 2, Brighton 1/11

There are a lot of girls on the rock scene at the moment. There’s Lzzy Hale from Halestorm, Orianthi, Emily Amrstrong and Siouxsie Medley from Dead Sara, Icon for Hire’s Ariel Bloomer and Taylor Momson from The Pretty Reckless to name but a few. The latest to throw their hat into the ring are LA duo Lindsey Troy and Julie Edwards. Together they are Deap Vally and if you like no frills rock then these are the girls for you. All you get is two girls, a guitar and a drum kit. Oh and not forgetting some damn good music. I must admit I didn’t know too much about them before seeing them. I liked their singles and heard they had a good reputation as a live act so I decided to see what the hype was about myself. It was worth it.


Before them though there was support from TigerCub and Skaters. I only saw half of TigerCub’s set but they sounded pretty decent. They reminded me a bit of Nirvana. Not sure if that was the style they were going for but that’s who they reminded me of. New York band Skaters were on next and they have definitely gained a new fan. Their songs were catchy and had a good sound. They even had time to sing happy birthday to their drummer as well.


Once they had departed it was time for Deap Vally. There may only be two of them but they make a big sound. Best described as a blend of blues and alternative rock (think White Stripes and you get the idea), there is a rawness to their music that you can’t help but be drawn in by. There is also a strong chemistry and energy between the two of them, something that is clearly seen in their live act. Playing stuff from their debut album ‘Sistrionix’ their set included ‘End of the World’, ‘Walk of Shame’ and ‘Gonna Make My Own Money’.

Having graced the likes of Glastonbury and Reading Festivals already this year, it must have made a change to play a small venue like Concorde2, but it suited them just fine. It was packed and crowd loved them and they themselves looked to be having a great time. Lindsey even had time to do a bit of crowd surfing mid set. They are also really nice people. They were more than happy to have photos and sign stuff after the gig.  I met Lindsey at the merch stall afterwards and bagged myself a signed album which was an added bonus. After buying a ticket for the gig on impulse, I’m glad I went. Definitely a band I recommend you go and see if they play near you.









No comments:

Post a Comment