Monday 10 February 2014

Gig Review: Gaz Brookfield @ The Latest Music Bar, Brighton

Gaz Brookfield @ The Latest Music Bar, Brighton 9/2

If I'm honest I hadn't planned on doing a review of this show. The main reason being I had never heard of Gaz Brookfield before and had no idea what to expect. All I had to go on was the insistence from my friend that he was brilliant. He didn't disappoint and I'm so glad I went along.

Having opened/toured with the likes of Frank Turner, Newton Faulkner and The Levellers, he plays an upbeat acoustic folk style, full of delicious hooks and fantastic story telling. It's this combination that holds your attention. He is a man who clearly enjoys performing his own songs and played with a smile on his face throughout.

His songs are based on everyday man's tales including growing up and surviving as a musician.  Songs such as 'Land Pirates Life', 'Towns' and 'The Busker Song', all off his latest album 'In the Company of Thieves', are perfect examples of these. Lyrically they are all fantastic. It may sound like an exaggeration, but are all that good. That's before you get to material from his other albums, such as 'Be the Bigger Man', a song about bullying at school, which also features Frank Turner in the video.

All in all it was a fantastic gig in a great little venue hidden away in Brighton. I love these kind of gigs as much as an arena/stadium. Perhaps even more so as there is a greater connection with the audience. Gaz was very humble and thankful that a roomful of people had come out to see him on a Sunday night. Not a bad first gig of the year at all.

Next up for me is Mr Turner himself in Portsmouth on Thursday which I will be reviewing at the end of the week.






No comments:

Post a Comment